Hanalei Bay, Hawaii Webcamera

November 21, 2015

Hanalei Bay is the largest bay on the north shore of Kauaʻi island in Hawaii.

hi4Hanalei Bay

Hanalei Bay consists of nearly two miles of beach, surrounded by mountains. In the summer, the bay offers excellent mooring for sailboats, stand up paddle boarding and swimming. During the winter the surf becomes large and is a favorite surf location.

On April 5, 1824, King Kamehameha II’s royal yacht, Pride of Hawaii, sank near the mouth of the Waiʻoli River, on the southwest corner of the bay after its crew struck a 5-foot-deep (1.5 m) reef a hundred yards offshore. It is believed the captain and crew were drunk at the time. A large section of the ship’s hull washed ashore in 1844 in a winter storm surge, but most of this historic wreck remains buried in silt in the bay. In 1995–2000, archaeologists from the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History excavated the wreck and recovered more than 1,200 artifacts. During this excavation, a 40-foot (12 m) section of the stern was discovered, documented, and then re-buried where it was discovered.

Japanese author Haruki Murakami wrote a short story entitled “Hanalei Bay” set in the area. The story is included in the collection Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. Hanalei Bay also served as a filming location for the 1958 film South Pacific.

Vidlin (from Old Norse: Vaðill meaning a ford), is a small village located in the Shetland Islands of Scotland.

Vidlin

Shetland has three National Nature Reserves, at the seabird colonies of Hermaness and Noss, and at Keen of Hamar to preserve the serpentine flora. There are a further 81 SSSIs, which cover 66% or more of the land surfaces of Fair Isle, Papa Stour, Fetlar, Noss and Foula. Mainland has 45 separate sites.

The landscape in Shetland is marked by the grazing of sheep and the harsh conditions have limited the total number of plant species to about 400. Native trees such as Rowan and Crab Apple are only found in a few isolated places such as cliffs and loch islands. The flora is dominated by Arctic-alpine plants, wild flowers, moss and lichen. Spring Squill, Buck’s-Horn Plantain, Scots Lovage, Roseroot and Sea Campion are abundant, especially in sheltered places. Shetland Mouse-ear (Cerastium nigrescens) is an endemic flowering plant found only in Shetland.

Shetland has numerous seabird colonies. Birds found on the islands include Atlantic Puffin, Storm-petrel, Red-throated Diver, Northern Gannet and Bonxie.  Numerous rarities have also been recorded including Black-browed Albatross and Snow Goose, and a single pair of Snowy Owls bred on Fetlar from 1967 to 1975.

Ny-Ålesund Airport is an airport serving the research community of Ny-Ålesund in Svalbard, Norway. The airport is owned by Kings Bay, who also owns the company town.

Ny-Ålesund Airport

The need for an airport to support commercial activity in Ny-Ålesundits arose in 1965 with the construction of Kongsfjord Telemetry Station. The Royal Norwegian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research needed to have an aviation connection with Longyearbyen to send magnetic tapes with the downloaded data to Germany. A road was built from the settlement to Hamnerabben, the site of the telemetry station. The top of the hill was sufficiently flat that a runway could be constructed. It was built by giving a 2,790 ft long straight section of the road a width of 130 feet. Waste oil was poured on the gravel to bind it.

Also located in this archipelego is the Svalbard Global Seed Bank which is is a secure seedbank located on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen near the town of Longyearbyen in the remote Arctic Svalbard archipelago, about 810 miles from the North Pole.  The facility preserves a wide variety of plant seeds in an underground cavern.  The seed vault is an attempt to provide insurance against the loss of seeds in genebanks, as well as a refuge for seeds in the case of large-scale regional or global crises. Spitsbergen was considered ideal due to its lack of tectonic activity and its permafrost, which will aid preservation. The location 430 ft above sea level will ensure that the site remains dry even if the icecaps melt.

Guaymas, Mexico Webcam

February 24, 2012

Guaymas is a city  in the southwest part of the state of Sonora in northwestern Mexico, and  south of the state capital of Hermosillo, 242 miles from the U.S. border.

Guaymas

Before the arrival of the Europeans, the areas now known as Guaymas was dominated by the Guaymas, Seri and Yaqui tribes.In 1539, two Spanish ships, the Santa Agueda and El Trinidad, arrived to Guaymas Bay.  In the late 18th and early 19th century, there was supposedly only one inhabitant in Guaymas, called “Tio Pepe” (Uncle Pepe), who was said to be a drunk and a thief.

Guaymas is basically an industrial and shrimp-fishing port which has conserved a number of historical attractions. Buildings in the historic center have a mix of Neoclassical and Moorish facades, however many are in disrepair. The city has two main plazas, one called 13 de Julio, which is nicknamed the “plaza de los flojos” (lazy men’s plaza) for the large number of people who relax there.

The Guaymas-Empalme station for space observations is about six miles east of Empalme, Sonora, adjacent to Mexican Federal Highway No. 15. It is operated by the Mexican Space Agency. As a major link in the NASA‘s worldwide Manned Space Flight Network, the Guaymas Tracking Station, built in 1961, played a key role in tracking American manned space flights in the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs through Apollo 13.

Mont Blanc is the highest mountain in the Alps, Western Europe and the European Union.

Mont-Blanc

The mountain lies between the regions of Aosta Valley, Italy, and Haute-Savoie, France and the location of the summit is on the watershed line between the valleys of Ferret and Veny in Italy and the Arve Valley in France. It rises 15,782 ft above sea level and is ranked 11th in the world in topographic prominence.

The Mont Blanc massif is being put forward as a potential World Heritage Site because of its uniqueness and its cultural importance, considered the birthplace and symbol of modern mountaineering.  In 2007, Europe’s highest outhouses (two) were helicoptered to the top of France’s Mont Blanc at a height of 13,976 feet. The dunny-cans are emptied by helicopter. The facilities will service 30,000 skiers and hikers annually; thus helping to alleviate the deposit of urine and feces that spread down the mountain face with the spring thaw, and turned it into ‘Mont Noir’.

On 8 June 2007, Danish artist Marco Evaristti draped the peak of Mont Blanc with red fabric, along with a 20-foot  pole with a flag reading “Pink State”. He was arrested and detained earlier on June 6 for attempting to paint a pass leading up to the summit red. His aim was to raise awareness of environmental degradation.

Santa Brígida is a Canarian municipality in the northeastern portion of the island of Gran Canaria in the Province of Las Palmas of the Canary Islands.

Santa Brígida

The Canary archipelago consists of seven large and several smaller islands, all of which are volcanic in origin.   The islands rise from Jurassic oceanic crust associated with the opening of the Atlantic. Underwater magmatism commenced during the Cretaceous, and reached the ocean’s surface during the Miocene. The islands are considered as a distinct physiographic section of the Atlas Mountains province, which in turn is part of the larger African Alpine System division.

The islands were visited by the Phoenicians, the Greeks, and the Carthaginians. According to the 1st century AD Roman author and philosopher Pliny the Elder, the archipelago was found to be uninhabited when visited by the Carthaginians under Hanno the Navigator, but that they saw ruins of great buildings.  This story may suggest that the islands were inhabited by other peoples prior to the Guanches.

Before the arrival of the aborigines, the Canaries were inhabited by prehistoric animals; for example, the giant lizard (Gallotia goliath), or giant rats (Canariomys bravoi and Canariomys tamarani).

Caboolture is considered to be the northernmost urban area of the greater Brisbane metropolitan region within South East Queensland.

Caboolure

The Caboolture area is the traditional home of the Kabi Aboriginal people. The name “Kabultur” is derived from the Yugarabul dialect meaning “place of the carpet snake”.  The Kabi people harvested bush food, fresh water mussels, oysters, fish, and some game animals, moving around the land to take best advantage of seasonally-available produce.

Each year in March, the Kabi people would hold Bunya Festivals to feast on the plentiful and nutritious annual nuts of the Bunya Pine. These huge trees provided a food source which could sustain large numbers of people.

The Caboolture area was first settled in 1842 when the land around the Moreton Bay penal colony was opened up to free settlers.  Timber was the principal industry of the area until the 1860s. The valuable red cedar, now very rare in the Shire, provided a good income for the timber loggers. The massive logs were rafted down the Caboolture River to Deception Bay, from where they were taken by steamer to Brisbane.